Wednesday, October 30, 2013

GOD BLESS TEXAS





AMARILLO
A few years back I made a promise to visit every Greenleaf Wholesale location.  Out of 16 stores, I had not visited Amarillo, Albuquerque or Texarkana, until last week; instead of going to WFFSA, (which I heard was a good show), I flew to Amarillo, Texas. 



Greenleaf Amarillo is run by Gary Dunn with a crew of 6 and is the definition of doing a lot of work to sell flowers. 

Amarillo has a population of 150,000 and four in-town flower shops.  For Gary and his crew to be profitable, they have to drive 2 to 3 hours in each direction to service the small towns surrounding Amarillo.  It is hard to believe but in the same day, Gary’s drivers could be in 4 states: Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico or Colorado.   If you are a grower, you might appreciate that someone else works as hard as you do to deliver beautiful flowers.



BIG TEXAN
I was only in Amarillo for a short time, but I think I took advantage of many of its pleasures.  The hotel I stayed in offered complimentary cocktails, not just one, but 3 each day.  I felt like I was at WFFSA.  

Of course, I had to go to the Big Texan to have a steak.  I didn’t have the 72 ounce steak, but I saw it.  The 72 ounce steak is free if you can eat it in an hour, plus all the side dishes. If you don’t finish the steak, you have to pay $72.  I should have tried it anyway.  In California, a little steak can cost $72.  

On the way out of town on Interstate 40, I stopped by the Cadillac Ranch made famous by Bruce Springsteen.  I enjoyed walking around the Cadillacs, it is clever and iconic.  I am trying to decide what we can artistically bury on the side of the greenhouse, maybe some gerbera carts.  



RHK 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Robert,
    That chair swallowed you up too. Its huge!!! I loved living in Amarillo except when it got really cold. Garys house is only minutes from Cadillac Ranch. I would take my grandson over and let him paint the cars. They have inches of paint built up on them from over the years of being autographed by people passing thru. Very cool.
    Glad you got your steak. Yummy. You must have stayed at The Drury Inn and took advantage of the free drinks they give away at happy hour. ;) We always stayed there during our shows.
    Sounds like you had a nice time with the Amarillo gang!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete