Wednesday, July 31, 2013

If You Can Make It Here...


New York! New York!

This summer, my daughter Maya is spending 6 weeks in New York City in a Alvin Ailey Dance Program. I went to visit her and some other friends in New York last week. I haven’t been in New York for 2 years and it looked great. The streets were clean, all the bars and restaurants were full and bustling. You wouldn’t know Hurricane Sandy did so much damage just last year.  


However, there is one part of New York City that is not what it once was. The Flower District on 28th Street in Chelsea is a mere shadow of what it once was. I was told by John Kiamos of Associated Wholesale Florist, “There once were 60 wholesale florists and now there are 16 on 28th Street.”  


I wasn’t there for business but I wondered where all the flowers come from. Manhattan has the best deli/mart flowers in the USA. All display very nice arrays of flowers. I can’t vouch for the freshness, but they are attractive. Where do they come from? I imagine a lot of flowers come in from out of town via trucks and the rest are drop shipped into flower users.


We will have to investigate. There is a good chance that Maya will go to college in NYC. I think we should start look into selling flowers there. I always like to visit where we have customers.




No comments:

Post a Comment